Scripture: Daniel 6
- Students will learn living in a fallen world means sometimes bad things happen to godly people.
- Students will learn God has not deserted us when bad things happen.
- Students will learn it is important to have faith in God even in tough times.
- Students will participate in an activity to remind them they can be brave when bad things happen, because God is with them.
Guided Question: How can we remember to be brave like Daniel and trust in God when bad things happen?
Materials: various types of paper, markers, yarns, glue, Bible verses about courage and trusting God
Procedure: Tell students the story of Daniel in the Lion’s Den. Asked them how they would have felt if they were Daniel? How do they think Daniel was able to be brave and trust God with all of those lions looking at him all night?
Ask students to list some things that happen that can make them frightened. Have them share some of the things they do when they are scared to feel braver.
Share these tips with students.
- Think of stories from the Bible of times when God helped people through events that were scary. Have students list a few while they are with you in class, so this will be easier for them. They may even want to make some of these stories a part of their craft.
- They should pray to God about things that are scaring them.
- They should remember God is always with those who worship and obey Him.
- They should remember bad things happen because we live in a fallen world, but God will help them through bad times.
- They should try to memorize some of the Bible verses below, so she/he will know them when they need them.
- They should remember God has a plan, and they need to trust God’s plan – especially when they are afraid.
Give students the craft materials. They should make the basic face of a lion on their paper (younger students will have a paper plate with the center cut out, so their face will be the “face of the lion”. Give students the following scripture references. Encourage them to write these as well as Bible stories that remind them to trust God and other favorite Bible verses that remind them to trust God – one per strip of paper to become the lion’s mane. (Younger students have slips of paper pre-printed with bible verses, they can glue to strips of paper for the lion’s mane.)
When students are finished, have them share the verses and stories they chose for their lion’s mane. Younger students may want to act out the Bible story using their lion “masks”. Encourage all of the students to memorize some of the verses on their mane to help them when they are scared.
- Joshua 1:9
- Deuteronomy 31:6
- 2 Timothy 1:7
- Psalm 27:14
- Proverbs 3:5-6
- John 16:33
- Philippians 4:13
- Isaiah 41:10
- Romans 15:13