Scripture: Genesis 27-28
- Students will review the story of Jacob’s blessing and dream, focusing on the fact that Jacob was traveling when the story happened.
- Students will learn Jacob needed a place to rest because he could not finish his journey in a day.
- Students will learn that even today sometimes travelers need extra help or encouragement to help them complete their journeys.
- Students will participate in a project to provide assistance or encouragement for travelers who may need it.
Guiding Question: How can we help travelers in need and show them God’s love?
Materials: shipping boxes or gift bags, paper, markers, donated items for care packages
Procedure: Review the story of Jacob especially the idea he was traveling when he had his dream. Discuss with the students how Jacob had to find a place to rest since he could not complete his trip in one day. Ask students if they have ever been on a trip when things did not go as expected and they need extra help to finish their journey. Explain that today your class will try to serve people who are traveling and may need extra things or encouragement to help them on their travels. (You or your class may decide to put together travel service packages for visitors to your church who are visiting while they are traveling, for service people who are traveling abroad or for missionaries who frequently travel from place to place. Please check with shipping companies and the military or missionaries to make sure you are packaging things that will actually get to those who need them and who will find them helpful.) Have students help assemble the care packages and write notes of encouragement to include in them. Encourage students to find a scripture to write on their notes which might encourage someone traveling.
- What organizations can provide free assistance to travelers who are stranded while traveling?
Supplemental Activity: Have more advanced students research to find organizations that provide free help to stranded travelers in your area. Are they legitimate charities which are well run? Do they need help or donations your class may be able to provide? Have students share their findings with your class.