Scripture: Genesis 21-23
- Students will review the story of Abraham, God’s Promises and Isaac.
- Students will learn Abraham sent Hagar and Ishmael away.
- Students will learn/review sight words.
- Students will participate in an activity to practice using sight words.
Guiding Question: What words are important to know by sight?
Materials: small “moving” box for each student or pair of students, set of sight word cards for each box (optional: “house” where students can record sight words they master)
Procedure: Review the story of Abraham focusing especially on the story of Hagar and Ishmael being cast out. Discuss with the students how Ishmael and Hagar had to move to a new location and start over again. Teach/review sight words. Give each student or pair of students a “moving” box filled with sight word cards. Have students unpack the box and read the sight words. If in pairs, one can check the other for accuracy while they take turns reading through the words twice. Words mastered can then be placed in a “house”. This can also become a game if students race to see who can fill their house first (make sure to test those who won to confirm words were indeed mastered!).
- What words would you need to be able to read if you were actually moving?
Supplemental Activity: Have more advanced students learn/review more difficult words which could be involved in a real move from place to place. Have them repeat the activity using these more difficult words.