Scripture: Acts 18:18-28, II TImothy 3:16-17
- Students will learn how Aquila and Priscilla taught Apollos the “way more perfectly”.
- Students will learn that missionaries can help people who believe in God grow in their faith.
- Students will learn how to help others who need better understanding of the Bible.
- Students will learn how missionaries prepare for long term missions.
Guiding Question: How does God provide for those serving Him?
Materials: Computer/laptop for Skype call, materials for card making: paper, markers, crayons, pencils
Procedure: Review the story of Aquila and Priscilla. Discuss how they dedicated their lives to ministry and what a big commitment that is. Explain how long term missionaries have a great deal to prepare for before their missions and must be dedicated in their commitment to the mission. Serving long term takes a great deal of trust and faith in God that He will provide all your needs both before and during the mission trip. Discuss what long term missionaries have to do in order to be prepared for their trip.
Have the students skype in with a missionary (determined prior to lesson) serving long term in another country. Have the missionary share what had to be done in preparation for the trip, daily life, and the challenges of serving long term. After the Skype call, have the students create cards or letters of encouragement to send to the missionary. (Have mailing information determined prior to lesson.)
- How can students develop an understanding of the work that goes into being a long term missionary?
Supplemental Activity: Split the students into two groups and assign them a country they will be long term missionaries in. Provide the students with an overview of where they will be living, how they will be serving, how long they will be gone, etc. Have the students work together to create a list of what they will need before and during the trip. Have students share lists when finished and debrief on how they would feel if that was real life for them.