Scripture: Genesis 1-2
- Students will review the Creation story
- Students will discuss what it means to be created in God’s image
- Students will learn what it “looks like” to accurately reflect God’s image
- Students will create self-portraits portraying themselves as accurately reflecting God’s image
- Students will share and discuss their finished projects
Guiding Question: What does it “look like” if we are accurately reflecting God’s image?
$$ Paper, pencils, crayons, markers
$$$ Paper, pencils, markers, old magazines, scissors
Procedure: Review the story of Creation. Discuss with students the concept of being created in the image of God and accurately reflecting God’s image. (This post on Parenting Like Hannah gives details of possible attributes.) Have students use the materials provided to create a “self-portrait” using words and/or images of themselves as if they are accurately reflecting God’s image. Have students share and explain the finished projects.
- What other Bible verses can you find describing God?
- How would you accurately reflect the descriptions of God you found in the Bible?
- How does accurately reflecting God point others to Him?
- Create an art exhibit of the finished student projects and invite others to view them.
- Create a book featuring the finished works and the students’ explanations of what they created.