Scripture: Genesis 1-2
- Students will review the Creation story, paying special attention to Adam naming the animals
- Students will learn/review the concept of the initial sound in words
- Students will play a game that allows them to practice identifying initial sounds in words
Guiding Question: What sound does the first letter of each animal name make?
Materials: No special materials needed.
Procedure: Review the story of Adam naming the animals. Discuss the current names of animals today. Teach students how to isolate the initial sound in animal names. If desired, encourage the students to identify the letter of the alphabet associated with the sound. Divide the students into groups of three or more. Have the students take turns acting out an animal. Encourage them to act and sound like the animal when it is their turn. The other students should try to correctly identify the animal and the initial sound in the animal’s name. If desired, the student should also identify the letter of the alphabet associated with the sound.
- What other sounds can you hear in the names of animals?
- What breeds of animals (like dogs) can you name? What is the first sound in those words?
Supplemental Activity: Quickly show photos of various animals. Have students quickly make the initial sound in the animal’s name and identify the corresponding letter of the alphabet.