Scripture: Genesis 37
- Students will review the story of Joseph, focusing especially on the coat of many colors.
- Students will learn about clothing in bible times.
- Students will learn that many people can not afford warm winter clothing.
- Students will plan and execute a collection of coats and other winter clothing to donate to those in need.
Guiding Question: How can we serve those who do no own any warm clothing for the winter months?
Materials: paper, poster board, markers
Procedure: Review the story of Joseph, focusing especially on the coat of many colors. Discuss with the students the clothing typically worn during bible times. Explain to the students the need for warm clothing in the cold in your area. Share with the students how many people in your area cannot afford warm clothing. Help students plan and execute a drive to collect coats and other clothing needed in cold weather. Use the materials to advertise the campaign. If possible have the students help deliver the items to the organization or shelter you have designated as the recipients.
- What other seasonal needs are people sometimes unable to afford?
Supplemental Activity: Have the interested students research other special needs that the poor may have that often go unmet. Have them share the results with the class. Your class may want to focus on collecting some of these items at a later date.