Scripture: Genesis 24
- Students will review the story of Isaac and Rebekah.
- Students will learn even during the time of Abraham and Isaac, weddings were an important celebration
- Students will learn how to write articles describing events in detail.
- Students will participate in an activity helping them practice writing articles describing events in detail.
Guiding Question: How does one write an article describing an event in detail?
Materials: paper, pens or pencils (Optional: Computer, printer, etc. to publish finished “newspaper”.)
Procedure: Review the story of Abraham focusing especially when he sent his servant to find a wife for Isaac. Explain how even during the time of Abraham and Isaac, weddings were special celebrations. Teach/review how to write an article describing an event in detail. Inform students you will be creating a class newspaper. Have students submit ideas for articles describing events which have happened recently in your school and/or community. Have each student write their assigned article, being careful to include plenty of details about the event. If possible, format the articles and print a class newspaper featuring their articles.
- What special elements are included in an article investigating something?
Supplemental Activity: Have more advanced students read several newspaper articles investigation an issue. What makes these articles different from the articles describing events? Encourage students to investigate an issue and write an article about their findings.