Scripture: Genesis 27-28
- Students will review the story of Jacob’s blessing and dream.
- Students will learn Jacob had a very special dream given to him by God.
- Students will learn Jacob set up the rock he had used for a pillow the night he had the dream as a remembrance of God’s promise to him and his promise to God.
- Students will learn God has made many promises to us in the Bible and will keep them just like He kept His promise to Jacob.
- Students will participate in a project to help them remember God keeps His promises.
Guiding Question: How do we know God will keep His promises to us?
Materials: “canvas” for each child (canvas board, heavy poster board, cardboard or anything stiff enough to display when completed), old magazines, glue or glue sticks, scissors, mod podge or other similar product, plain paper in beige or coordinating colors, pens
Procedure: Review the story of Jacob especially his dream. Discuss the promise God made to Jacob during the dream. Ask students how Jacob could know God would keep His promise. Ask students to list some of the promises God makes to us in the Bible (Ex: John 3:16, Revelation 2:7, Matthew 11:28-29, 2 Peter 1:4, Romans 8:37-39, etc.) Ask your students if they believe God will keep this and His other promises to Christians. Read Deuteronomy 7:9. How does that verse make your students feel about God and His promises? How many years would be in a thousand generations? A thousand generations is probably an expression meaning far into the future which would include us. (Note this project will take two or more sessions is you have limited time.) Have students cut out or create a background for their “canvas”. They may choose to depict a variety of people who will live under God’s Promises, or photos of things that remind them of some of God’s promises or even words. Have students totally cover the “canvas” by gluing their choices to it. Follow the directions on the mod podge or similar product bottle to cover the finished art. While the canvas is drying, have students write the words and scripture reference from Deuteronomy 7:9 on a plain sheet of paper (can choose colors if you have it available). Encourage them to use their best writing and write it large bough so the scripture covers most, but not all of the canvas they have created. They may choose to cut the finished scripture into a smaller piece of paper in some sort of shape. Glue the scripture to the canvas and then cover with one or two additional layers of mod podge. Encourage students to display the finished piece of art in their homes to remind them God will keep His promises.
- What promises can you find in the New Testament that God makes to Christians??
Supplemental Activity: Have more advanced students search the New Testament to find more promises God makes to Christians. Have them share their findings with the class. Which ones mean the most to your students at the moment?