Scripture: Genesis 39-41
- Students will learn God has a plan, but sometimes bad things still happen.
- Students will learn God is always working, even when bad things happen.
- Students will learn God can use whatever happens to us (good or bad to prepare us for what He wants us to do).
- Students will learn God sometimes God will ask us to wait for the next step of His plan to happen.
- Students will learn we can serve God anywhere we are.
- Students will learn how to multiply fractions.
Guiding Question: How will God take care of us during difficulties?
Materials: Paper, pencils
Procedure: Review the story of Joseph in Egypt. Tell students that God is always looking out for us and working out situations for us even when we do not realize it. Sometimes we have to be patient and trust that even though we do not understand something, God is in control and can work through bad situations. We can still serve God in any situation and look to Him to show us the good and ways to go about serving Him.
Introduce the activity. Reminds students that 1/5 of the harvest was collected during the 7 good years. Ask students what would need to be done to figure out how much of the harvest had been collected? Explain multiplying fractions and have students practice with different scenarios. For example: The harvest had 325 lbs of crops. ⅕ of the harvest was collected. How much was collected?
Additional Questions: How can students apply their knowledge of fractions?
Supplemental Activity: Have students create multiplying fractions word problems for a partner to solve.