Scripture: 1 and 2 Peter
- Students will learn that some Apostles wrote letters to churches and other missionaries to help them grow in their faith and stay close to God.
- Students will learn that some of the books in the New Testament are actually some of these letters.
- Students will learn that there are always others to help in their own city.
- Students will create school supplies bags for children in need.
Guiding Question: How does God want us to serve the needy?
Materials: Paper grocery bags, school supplies to pack bags (school supplies and amount will depend on the need
Procedure: Read Titus 2:7 and Matthew 25:36 to the students. Discuss with them why Jesus wants us to clothe the “naked”. Who are people in our city that may need clothes or other necessities? Why would they need them? Discuss poverty in your city and how various organizations are helping. Have students pack school supplies donation bags for children in need of school supplies within the city. Prior to lesson, contact local organizations or schools in need of school supplies to determine what school supplies will be needed.
- How can basic needs be provided for those who are homeless within our city?
Supplemental Activity: Have students plan and implement a clothing drive for those in need of clothing within the city. Contact homeless shelters and other organizations to determine what clothing they are in need of.