Scripture: Genesis 37
- Students will review the story of Joseph focusing especially on his coat of many colors.
- Students will learn and or review color words.
- Students will learn and or review clothing words.
- Students will participate in an activity to help them practice using color and clothing words properly.
Guiding Question: What are the color and clothing words you need to know in order to purchase clothing?
Materials: A variety of clothing or a retailer with a large variety of clothes.
Procedure: Review the story of Joseph focusing especially on the coat of many colors. Teach and or review color words and clothing words. Students who have mastered the basic vocabulary in those categories can be introduced to more obscure words.
Divide students into groups of 2 or 3. Have them take turns being the customers or the employee of your clothing store. The customers should request a specific item they noticed. (ex. I need a blue shirt.) The employee must them point out the correct object. The more access students have to a variety of clothes and colors the more practice they can get.
- What other words would you need to know to complete a transaction in a clothing store?
Supplemental Activity: Repeat the activity. This time the students must complete an entire transaction from the customer being greeted upon entering the store to the purchase being completed.