Scripture: Genesis 24
- Students will review the story of Isaac and Rebekah.
- Students will learn Abraham sent his servant to find a wife for Isaac.
- Students will learn/review words needed during a wedding and reception.
- Students will participate in an activity helping them use words found in weddings and at receptions properly.
Guiding Question: What words are commonly used at weddings and receptions?
Materials:wedding and reception costumes and props (You can make this as simple or as elaborate as you wish.)
Procedure: Review the story of Abraham focusing especially when he sent his servant to find a wife for Isaac. Explain that even then, weddings were a very important celebration. Teach/review all of the words one would normally hear at a wedding and the reception. Assign students various roles in a wedding party, including guests. Have the students role play a wedding and a wedding reception being careful to use as many of the words you discussed as possible. Students should be encouraged to use the words properly throughout the activity.
- What other celebratory events have special vocabulary words associated with them?
Supplemental Activity: Have more advanced students research other celebratory events that have special vocabulary words associated with them. Encourage them to make vocabulary lists for each of these events. Have them share their findings with the class. If time allows, the students may want to role play these additional events as well.