Scripture: Matthew 4, Mark 1, Luke 5, John 1
- Students will review the stories of Jesus calling the Apostles.
- Students will learn some of the Apostles were related to each other and others may have been friends.
- Students will learn that they should want to encourage their siblings and friends to follow Jesus just like Andrew did for his brother, Peter.
- Students will participate in an activity to encourage them to invite others to learn about Jesus.
Guiding Question: How do you invite others to learn about Jesus?
Materials: yellow gift bags, yellow treats, paper and markers
Procedure: Review the stories of Jesus calling the Apostles, focusing especially on Andrew bringing Peter to Jesus. Explain to the students it is important that they act like Andrew and invite their friends and relatives to learn about Jesus. Brainstorm with students the different ways to invite people to lean about Jesus. Give each student a yellow gift bag, treats, paper and markers. Have them put together a gift bag. Encourage them to write and decorate an invitation to ask a friend or relative to join them at church to learn about Jesus. Ask the parents of your students to help them deliver the treat bags and invitations.
- What other ways can you invite people to learn about Jesus?
Supplemental Activity: Have the students brainstorm other ways of inviting people to learn about Jesus. Encourage them to use these ideas and regularly invite others to learn about Jesus.