Scripture: Genesis 39-41
- Students will review the story of Joseph in Egypt.
- Students will learn Joseph served God as a slave and as a prisoner.
- Students will learn they can serve God as young people or in whatever circumstances they find themselves.
- Students will participate in a service project to help others learn about God.
Guiding Question: What is a service project kids can do to serve others and share their faith/
Materials: card stock cut into 2’x6’ strips, poster board, paper (various colors and white), markers, scissors, tape and empty card board boxes
Procedure: Review the story of Joseph in Egypt. Point out to the students how Joseph behaved in godly ways and served God even when he was a slave and in jail. Explain to the students that people often make excuses why hey can’t serve God. For example many people think kids are too young to serve God in meaningful ways. Tell the students you believe they can serve God by helping other kids and sharing their faith with them. Help students plan a collection drive for children’s Bibles and Christian books. Encourage them to use the materials to create posters and fliers advertising the collection drive. Have them decorate the cardboard boxes for collection points. If time allows have the students create bookmarks from the cardstock strips. The bookmarks can be placed in the donated books. If at all possible, have the students deliver the books to the urban ministry or church you have selected to receive them.
- What other says can young people serve God?
Supplemental Activity: Have students brainstorm other ways young people can serve God. Encourage them to begin doing some of these activities.