Scripture: Genesis 5-9
- Students will review the story of Noah
- Students will learn it was very important for Noah and his family to follow every one of God’s instructions exactly as they were given
- Students will learn if Noah had not obeyed God exactly, there might have been serious consequences
- Students will learn God wants us to follow His commands exactly as He has given them to us
- Students will participate in an activity to show them how not following instructions can cause problems
Guiding Question: What can happen if we don’t follow instructions exactly as given?
Materials: small squares of colored or origami paper, instructions for origami figures
Procedure: Review the story of Noah with students. Discuss with students all of the different instructions God gave Noah. Ask students what they think might have happened if Noah decided to use a different kind of wood. Or make the Ark two feet shorter. Or didn’t go on the Ark when God told him to. Tell students people often think they can change God’s instructions and commands – often so they can do what they want to do.
Give each student a piece of colored or origami paper. Tell them you are going to give them step by step instructions for how to make an origami object. Tell the students that at least once during the instructions, you want them to NOT follow your instructions. They can change it just a little or do the exact opposite of what you tell them to do. After completing the instructions, compare the objects the students created to your example. Do any of them match it exactly? Explain that when we don’t follow God’s instructions and commands exactly as He gave them, our lives are not like the wonderful plans God had for us.
Additional Question: What are some of the instructions and commands God has given us to follow?
Supplemental Activity: Have students research scriptures in the New Testament where we are given instructions or commands. Have them share several of them with other students. Discuss what the consequences could be if we choose to not follow these instructions and commands as God gave them.