Scripture: Ruth 1
- Students will review the story of Ruth and its key ideas.
- Students will learn how to choose the important events from a story.
Guiding Question: What were the main events and ideas in the story of Ruth?
Materials: six index cards per student, small bags in the shape of a suitcase or with a picture of a suitcase
Procedure: Review the story of Ruth focusing especially on her journey with Naomi to a new home. Explain that there were many details and a lot of information. However, there were some key events and messages that are important to remember. Relate the lesson to packing for a trip just like Ruth and Naomi went on a long trip from Moab. Explain that when you travel, you do not take everything from your house. You only take the main things that you need. Students can pack up a story to make it “travel sized.” Give students six index cards. Tell students to write down 5 events/ messages from the story that they think were the most important. Place them in a suitcase shaped bag or a bag with a suitcase picture on it. Next, have students find a partner. They compare events. Have them discuss their cards and narrow it down to 3. It is okay if after discussing their cards, they make a different event/message. If both of them have an event, it is a good indication that it is worthy of packing. At the end, have students share their travel-sized story from their “suitcase”.
Note: Remind students that every detail in the Bible serves an important function and should not be disregarded. This activity serves mainly to help them remember stories and find succinct meaning in them.
- Why did you chose the events that you did?
- Why does God include details such as genealogy and extra historical information in the Bible?
- Why do you think the Book of Ruth was included in the Bible?
- Students can pack a suitcase of main events from another of their favorite Bible stories to share with the group. Have each student do a different story and “travel” around the Bible by having students mix and share the story they “packed.” Set a timer to allow each person to share with their partner for 1-2 minutes. When the timer goes off, the other partner can share. Then they find a new partner to travel to.
Written by: Savannah Negas