Scripture: Genesis 37
- Students will learn God has a plan, but sometimes bad things still happen.
- Students will learn God is always working, even when times are bad.
- Students will learn God can use the things that happen to us (good and bad) to prepare us for something He may want us to do later.
- The caravan of people that bought Joseph from his brothers were probably their distant cousins. They were descendants of Abraham through his children with Hagar and/or Keturah (Abraham’s wife after Sarah died).
- Myrrh was actually made from the resin (hardened sap) of certain trees. It could have come from modern day Yemen, Jordan or even Israel.
- Spices often came from China, India or one of the countries in those areas. The most commonly traded spices were cinnamon, cardamon, ginger and turmeric.
- Balm often came from an area now in modern Israel known as Gilead. It was from the balsam tree and was used in many medicines.
- Although slaves were traded to Egypt, it was a minor business and evidently only small numbers were traded at this point in time.